In a shocking incident in Dharwad’s Managundi village, a teen, who was presumed dead by the villagers, reportedly came back to life on the way to his funeral.
Minutes before the cremation, he suddenly woke up, taking his relatives and villagers by surprise. He was then rushed to a private hospital and his condition is critical, a report in TOI said.
One month ago, Kumar Marewad, 17, was bitten by a stray dog. Last week, he had high fever after which he was admitted to a hospital in Dharwad. Kumar was put on ventilator after his health deteriorated.
The doctors told Kumar’s relatives that since he was critical, if the life support was removed he would not survive. The doctors told them that the infection had spread in Kumar’s body and asked the family to decide whether they wanted to continue treatment or not, the report said.
The family then decided to take him home.
“We had decided to take Kumar home after doctors told us his chances of survival were bleak once taken off the ventilator,” Kumar’s brother-in-law Sharanappa Naikar was quoted as saying by TOI.
Kumar’s relatives presumed him dead after they noticed there was no body movement or breathing. They then made arrangements of his funeral and were headed to perform his last rites.
Two kilometres from the village where he was to be cremated, Kumar woke up and moved his hands and legs and started breathing fast. The shocked relatives, then rushed him to a hospital on Gokul Road.
“Kumar is on ventilator. We suspect he suffers from meningoencephalitis, an infection caused due to dog bite,” Dr Mahesh Neelakhantannavar was quoted as saying.
“Kumar stopped going to school after class IX to support us. He used to work as a construction labourer. His elder brother is physically challenged. We need support for his treatment,” Kumar’s parents Ningappa and Manjula, daily wage labourers, were quoted as saying by the daily.